Columbia, South Carolina is a fantastic place to celebrate the Christmas holiday season. People travel from all over the country to visit the South Carolina State Capitol and unique attractions that this city has to offer. During the winter months, many people make Columbia their home away from home as they escape the colder weather and head south for the season. Columbia's central location between the mountains and the beach, along with wonderful family friendly attractions, make Columbia the perfect winter home. Favorite local holiday events have become annual traditions over the years, making Columbia a wonderful place to spend the holidays and celebrate this special time of year with family and friends. Here are just a few examples of holiday festivities that are unique to Columbia, South Carolina:
1. Lights Before Christmas – Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is the host of one of Columbia's most popular annual Christmas events. Each and every year, the zoo lights up with approximately one million twinkling lights featuring magnificent light displays throughout the park. It is known as the only place in town where it snows every night. In addition, there are delicious holiday treats available for purchase. This event is fun for the entire family.
2. Holiday Lights on the River – Holiday Lights on the River features the largest drive through lights show in the Midlands. Saluda Shoals Park comes alive at night with hundreds of themed, animated light displays on a 2 mile loop. This event is a holiday favorite for many!
3. Christmas in Cayce – Christmas in Cayce is a month long celebration that features special holiday events such as a tree lighting ceremony and Christmas Caroling. Another great place to find twinkling holiday lights.
4. Columbia Christmas Pageant – First Baptist Columbia offers a unique Christmas event that has been a South Carolina family tradition since 1988. The best part? Admission to this event is free!
5. Harborside Lights – Lake Carolina hosts Harborside Lights during the holiday season featuring photos with Santa, delicious food, live music and more!
Columbia, South Carolina offers such a wide variety of Christmas festivities, that many people make a weekend getaway out of their visit to this wonderful city. Hotels offer great Local discount hotel rates so That visitors can have a comfortable, affordable stay During the holiday season 's .
In addition to popular annual events, there are always new Christmas events and specials to look forward to in Columbia, SC. Explore this beautiful city during the holiday season to see why people return year after year to the familiar traditions that Columbia has to offer.